Connect with us

Bangladesh-New Zealand Series

NZ series to go ahead as per schedule


Published

:


Update

:

Photo: courtesy

|| CF DESK ||

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Najmul Hasan Papon has cleared all the uncertainty for the two-match Test series between Bangladesh and New Zealand and said it will go ahead according to the schedule.

It was decided after a meeting by Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), which was held at the BCB headquarters in Mirpur on Saturday.

Test contingents will undergo another Covid-19 test on 20th December, following the test result the BCB will take the final decision on 21st December.

“A lot of players were wondering if the series could be scrapped. Actually, it has no chance. As far as we know, there is no chance to postpone the tour. If the quarantine period is extended after 21st then we can go for a discussion with them. A week later, New Zealand will visit Australia. So, they do not have time. That is what we know so far,” Papon told the media.

The BCB thought of canceling the tour because of a lack of adequate preparation. After finishing the ten-day quarantine, the team will get 10 days to prepare for the first Test. Out of those ten days, they cannot train for two days because of traveling and Christmas vacation. 

The issue arose after spin-bowling coach Rangana Herath tested positive for the Covid test. Herath and eight other members of the Bangladesh team were isolated as they boarded the same flight to New Zealand alongside a person who had tested positive for the virus.

The first Test of the two-match series will begin on 1 January at Mount Maunganui. 

And even though today's BCB meeting was originally meant to set the dates and time for the upcoming Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), the board has opted to wait till getting a final update about the Bangladesh team from New Zealand.  

Archive

Advertisement