Connect with us

England Cricket

Stokes' schedule warning 'absolutely' heard, says ECB chief executive


Published

:


Update

:

Photo: Courtesy

|| CF DESK ||

According to interim England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Clare Connor, Ben Stokes' warning about the timetable demands on top players was "absolutely" heard.

England Test captain Ben Stokes retired from one-day internationals last month, citing a tough workload. In order to rest, he and Jonny Bairstow have opted out of The Hundred.

After announcing his retirement from ODIs, Stokes said: "There is too much cricket rammed in for people to play all three formats now. We are not cars, you can't just fill us up and we'll go out there and be ready to be fuelled up again."

Connor, who won more than 100 caps for England, said she does not have "all the answers" for easing the packed calendar, but does understand the need to limit what is being asked of players.

"We have listened closely to what Ben has said," she said.

"It's something that we have got to grapple with - that's us with players, other boards, the International Cricket Council and the Professional Cricketers' Association,"

"The players are at the heart of what we need to do to take the game forward. Without them, we don't have a game that has got the wow factor to inspire" she added.

The Hundred began on Wednesday, with defending men's champions Southern Brave comfortably defeating Welsh Fire.

Archive

Advertisement